Monday, October 16, 2006

The Good Ole Tube

What is everybody watching this year? The new shows have pretty much all unfurled and new seasons of favorites have begun. I’m a SF junkie (no surprise right?) so this is like my dream year. Of course, I’m not stupid enough to think all the shows I love will last. I mean, the Big Bad TV Godlings only let me have “Joan of Arcadia” for two seasons. (Critiques said it was “getting too dark.” Uh. Sorry that real life was hard to watch... even with a little walkin’ and talkin’ with God rolled in.)

Here’s my picks for the new season. Enjoy or skip. Your choice.

Jericho
It had me from the mushroom cloud. That little doe-eyed boy standing on top of the roof, his round little eyes half-hidden by bangs. Hello. Yep. That would be most of us adults if we saw that flower of destruction in the near distance. The rainstorm rolling in a day later? There’s suspense. Oh, and the night road littered with dead crows? Nice touch. Eerily. They who fly also fall. I don’t think this show will last though (see reason “Joan of Arcadia” was cancelled above). Which will make me very sad... and very glad I record them to DVD-R.

Shark
Can’t stand crime shows. Have never watched more than a handful of epis of any courtroom drama or procedural. Am disgusted by the justifying of violence as drama that is almost every crime show out there. But I cannot – simply cannot! -- *not* watch a show starring James Woods. Watch one epi. Any epi. I can’t take my eyes off him. “I eat prosecutors for breakfast. They’re my main source of fiber,” he quips, and you almost think he’s serious. But put him up against his sixteen year old daughter’s desire for love-yet-independence and he has met his match. Also, Jeri Ryan is always excellent. She truly plays flawlessly. Must be a joy for such an incredible team to work together.

Heroes
Funny. Melodramatic. Little details. Personal dramas. Big conspiracies. Big ideas. Escapism. Social commentary. Pop culture candy. Dream come true fantasy. A fun show to watch. Depth without being too deep. Watched the premiere with my best friend and editor Cris. She exclaimed over the credits, “That’s the best show this year!” I can’t love it that much... yet... but it is a neat idea with great characters and lots and lots of potential.

Returning Favorites: Lost (been hooked from season one, epi three – actually thought the first two sucked), and Battlestar Galactica (Two words: Mary McDonnell).

E.J.