Monday, May 21, 2007

I Am Not Alone

This idea, Mardi Gras 3000, has taken over my life. But I don't mean that every spare moment is utilized by MG3K (okay, I do) but that at any moment, at pretty much every moment, I can just start talking about the MG3K world and people... like... stare at me. No, seriously! I ordered a tall, single latte. And the next thing I knew I was telling the cashier about a deep, smooth, frothed milk drink was such a good idea, and the coffee flavor was such an earthy goodness flavor... but too bad about that whole it really is as addictive as nicotine and the fact the drinks have gotten bigger and bigger, and the number of shots per customer increases as time wears on, and, for a while in the 2004 at least, the coffee chain staff (you know which one) were being encouraged to ask customers if they wanted an extra shot in their drink to, you know, bring up the cost of the average sale... and feed those stupid addicts more of what they crave.

Should coffee come with warning labels like cigarettes? What would they say:

WARNING: Addictive stimulant. Cardiovascular effects: increased heart rate; increased blood pressure, and irregular heartbeat.

Of course, if this law were put into effect, just to be fair, several people I know would have to have these labels stuck to their shirts. LOL

Coming full circle: So, in a recent piece of MG3K fiction, the author announces that alcohol, nicotine, chocolate and caffeine are all controlled substances in the year 2056. What do you think? Interesting, huh? Crazy? Maybe not. But my point is...

THERE ARE MG3K AUTHORS NOW!!!!

Yes, I am screaming. With happiness and excitement. Because I love the players. They play the game with a dedication and an obsessive passion. They create moves. They make strategies. They are making the card game powerful. But the setting of the card game--the atmosphere, the universe--has to be rich for me to continue to live in this place. To be okay with how obsessive my own thoughts have become. A friend actually said, "Bonkers, E.J., are you speaking in tongues now?" When he asked if I wanted to go club hopping (to dance) and I answered him by reading 400 words out of a new MG3K story set in a night club. *Everything* ties into MG3K lately.

For a while, everyone (and, my gosh, I do mean everyone) seemed to have a MG3K idea. But, well, I didn't really get excited because I've worked at a publishing house. I've done the wanna-be author convention circuit thing. Yes, *everyone* always has an *idea* for a novel. But only .05% of them ever actually write it. And, heh, I'm not putting them down. You don't see me whipping out a novel either. My excitement came when authors actually started to ask for *contracts* and send in finished *stories*!! Suddenly, it was real. And it was really good.

The fact that the authors see the world and the characters in the same way that I do--even when the authors are miles or half a world away--is incredible and powerful. It inspires me to write very, very, very long posts on the forum. Where does that stuff all come from?

From the collective mind of the audience, my friends. Remember that post way back in the day? ;) The collective mind is proving itself. I believed. Now, let the good times roll.

E.J.