Friday, March 09, 2007

Gamer Grrl

When my publisher first asked me to create this blog, I wondered (aloud) what in the world I would write about. "Just write about your work day," I was told. "Testing die-rollers and new cards, trying out different sizes of packaging, reading countless articles by "industry professionals" who know pretty much nothing, nada, ziltch outside the cardboard box of the traditional, musty gaming industry that hit its ceiling so long ago that renaming "Park Place" makes the WSJ.

As all of you, my loyal, dedicated and tolerant readers know, I actually found quite a bit to talk about but little of it has had to do with the gaming industry and be, as a chick, in it. Mostly I write about what informs me, my games and my life as a designer. Mostly I try to talk with you as I would with a friend. Because, truth be told, not many friends will pay $16.99 plus shipping, plus boosters to hang with you. Most friends just ask for a freebie. Which makes all of you extra special... and worthy of more than thin, weak, pointless blogs about deciding whether or not the Starter Deck should ship with stack clips.

Okay. I know *some* of you want to hear about details like that but *most* of you don't. I mean, unless we're talking about the metallic green, pink and pink clips that are all shiny and punk and neo-black... then, really, how interesting can clips be? Unless, of course, they're holding up your twelve-card stack of Elijah and all her human companions and a bunch of modifiers and a Hummer. We can talk about *that* clip any time. It would be lavender. Duh.

Seriously, tonight I decided to write about gaming for once and for all. Specifically about the wonderland of Instants. Instant cards, in Mardi Gras 3000, make up the heart of Advanced Play. They elevate the game beyond the Basic Rules and shake everything up. According to how you play, hold, and stack your Instants makes and breaks your game.

Right now, on the market, are the first generation of Instants. Some Instants are only for Terrapyres. Some are only for Celestials. Some are inclusive (any character). The choices are pretty much balanced. But looming on the horizon is the second gen of Instants. A balance of all three types. What will they be? What will they do? How can they be powerful enough that players want to buy them but not so powerful that they are undefeatable?

Wait! Go back! First gen Instants. Are any of them useless? Any too strong? Do I see a recall or clarification in my future?

Baby, I need a bevy of writers in leather pants or Carnival masks telling me exactly what these elusive immortals need.

All during this brainstorming (which means while my brain storms around making a mess), I am haunted by the movement among the MG3K players: Luck or Learned? Some players say MG3K can be won on luck. Like, your four year old brother can whip your butt if he rolls high for movement and low for battle. Now this argument *almost* disappears in Advance Play but more on that later. Back to Basic Play...

So some complain about luck... after they've been unlucky a few times. And I worry, you know? I don't want the game to be all about luck. But now, about six months into the release of the game, I'm starting to get some very aggressive messages from "expert players." These are players who literally play several games a day. I mean, like they've played 1000 or 2000 games, seriously. Some of these players are undefeated. Does that mean they're very, very, very lucky?

Pip Anderson, winner of the "All Girls Tournament" (www.windstormcreative.com/angel/tournaments.htm) and a current front-runner in the March HSOL online tournament (www.mardigras3000.com), is undefeated and insists that this has to do with how you set the board and the paths you make and don't make for fast movement. She talks to me about finding the pathways in a preset boards, and looking for traps. She talks about how being aggressive is never a negative thing when you're playing a peer. She has a move for every possible die roll and every possibly moment. Good roll? Great. Bad roll? There are no bad rolls.

So...

Who do I ask about Instants? What kind of player do I cater to? Hardcore players like Pip? Casual players who feel that Instants remove/reduce the luck factor? Hm. These are questions that are fabulous to ponder with your ultra-cool mom and her childhood girlfriend over mocha ice cream. They are also perfect questions to impress a buff, closet-gamer red-head at a rave. But even though both these situation conversations (sit cons) are pleasant and fun, they don't answer the real question:

How am I going to create forty new Instants in thirty days?

Failure, darling, is not an option.

E.J.