Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bearing Witness

"...may you bear witness for Christ in His glory, showing all who cross your path how the wonder of Him lives in all things, more than any man can comprehend, and with a plan that only He discerns. If His desire was for all of us to be the same, He would not have formed us so differently."

And so it came to pass that she found herself alone on the path and with child and she was not certain how it was that she came to walk upon this way and she was not certain how it was that she was without companion or champion, but she was quite certain why it was that she was unafraid. She was unafraid because with every step she was bearing witness for Christ.

It is nothing short of miracle, I think, that critics and market analysts place "Juno" and "The Passion of the Christ" in the same category. They both, it seems, spoke to the Christian population who responded by putting their money on the counter at cineplexes coast to coast. The brutal, perhaps over-dramatized life of Christ and the young, hip, abortion-isn't-right-for-me teen grrl, spoke to the modern Christian... as did the controversy that surrounded (to different extents) both films. The "Christian Dollar" is an elusive one, and the Church (as all denominations are called by the industry) is not easily courted. Which makes sense. I would suppose that Father isn't keen on dating studios (all of which are from the other side of the tracks).

We (as Christians) seem to like movies where we see our ethics come out on top. "See, Juno? Pre-martial sex was a complicated no-no, huh?" We like to see mirrors held up that we can see bits of ourselves reflected in and so justified. "See what my Christ went through? How can you not believe?!" But I find it endlessly fascinating that we tend to flock (pun intended) to the extremes. We want "Left Behind" and images of pious, pure and perfect Christians. You know... the kind that don't really exist.

There is an on-going movement by Dove (and others) to show little grrls that even rare and fabulously beautiful models and actors require an enormous amount of air-brushing. I think someone... um, maybe me, maybe you... should launch a campaign to show people, to show even other Christians, what *real* Christians look like.

Because being a Christian is being a believer in the teachings and the heart of Jesus Christ. It is being gentle. It is knowing forgiveness -- given and received. It is righteous anger. It is riotous laughter. It is freedom and confidence in our hearts. It is pushing ourselves to our full possible potential because anything less would be to fall short of what God hard-wired into our genome. Being a Christian is celebrating the temples of our body, granted by Christ, His gift to us. Elevation of music. Redemption in kisses. Hallelujah in every whispered I love you. Prayer in every moment.

The on-going conversation with Christ that includes the price of gas, the taste of bubblegum, the sound of children on the playground, the scent of new dawn, the realization when we meet the gaze of a friend that more awaits us in those quiet depths than we ever saw before.

Bear witness. Stand up for your Christ as He stood up, lay down, and rose again for you. Come out of the closet. Tell one person who didn't know that you are a Christian. But don't invite them to church. Don't spout man's scripture to them. Do it like this:

I am a raver, a biker chick, a gamer grrl, and a Christian. So yeah, that new movie does appeal to me on all sorts of levels.

...or...

That last time I had a solid KO in MMA was when this great big guy started giving me trouble because I wear a cross, cuz I'm a Christian, you know? But I've got short hair, and a grrlfriend, and I'm a chick... and he thought that didn't mesh. Like he's all into my business. That's between me and Christ.

...or...

I am not pro-choice because I believe that there are lots of choices but killing a living baby isn't one of them. However, I don't believe that candidates should be decided on one issue. I will place my vote for the person who will best guide this entire country, not just the Christian part. I am a Christian but I will not allow the pulpit to cast my vote. God gave me a brain of my own.

...or, simply...

I am a Christian. I am not a stereotype.

Real life is not about evangelic speeches. Real life is about showing, not telling. Make it real. Make it your own. Bear witness for Christ as you. Because whatever and whoever you are, if He walks with you, than you are a Christian.

EJ