Monday, April 23, 2007

Once Again, From On High

Hey, Blog Readers (is there a hip name for that? Peeps who peep?), here's the word from my over-worked, under-paid, really-mean, seriously strict, incredibly freaking brilliant, still-in-business-and-thriving-when-nineteen-other-small-presses-have-folded-in-the-last-five-years, publisher (also known, I guess, as Jennifer) on the process of selecting five managers to handle all things Mardi Gras 3000.

And now, those words from our sponsor... ah, publisher:

Thank you, everyone, for the amazing response to these five positions. Between the interest from forum members and subscribers to E.J.’s blog, we received a total of fifty-five applications that included more than two hundred pages of intent to succeed.

The shortest application was two pages of dense, market-supported analysis and conclusions for the General Manager position, followed with a single page, full-color design of an “Angel Games” display. The longest application, for the Online Manager position, was forty-nine pages of code, diagrams, network connections, screen captures, and URLs to existing mock ups.

The application breakdown was:

4 General Manager
3 Production Manager
26 CCG Manager
13 Online Manager
9 Votary Manager

In honesty, I am running a day behind with all of this incredible reading. I won’t have my final decision until tomorrow. However, if your proposal isn’t one of the final three I’m considering in each category, I will be contacting you today before 6 pm PST.

There were so many qualified applicants! There were so many applicants that I had no qualms about, no hesitations, and such amazing ideas, that I wish I had twice as many positions. My final decisions will be posted tomorrow, along with contact information for each new manager, and a short description of their background and their plans.

Thank you again, everyone, for all the time and energy you invested in this process. I am certain that the Mardi Gras 3000 universe will be richer because of this reorganization.

Jennifer

Now, back to our show... E.J.!

Personally, I was surprised there were so few applicants. I've heard from many more than fifty players who has asked how they can get in on the "ground floor" of this start-up venture. I always told people the same things:

Be a team player. Be funny. Be witty. Be loyal. Call and chat with Jennifer or Cris. Send fan fiction. Play. Play. Play.

I'm not disappointed, exactly, because Jennifer mentions that the applications looked really good. And I guess, when the time comes to really get down, dirty and work, the crowds do thin out. I think a lot of players think that working for a gaming company is all play testing... but even playing testing can be grueling!

Another interesting fact was that only three or four (I can't remember exactly what she told me--our talk was no names just a lot of numbers) forum members applied. I think the other applicants came from players who are blog readers. I suppose I understand this, though. The forum, without an empowered and paid VM (who doesn't have to check in with me all the time and stuff like that), can really, understandably, hit long, slow periods. I'm the first to admit that I don't really know how to keep members posting. The blog, on the other hand, is pretty constant (at least, it's easier for me to maintain a pace) so the fact that players "gather" around the blog makes sense.

Everyone who applied knew the game really well and a couple people mentioned playing in unofficial tournaments at stores who have taken product from cold calls! (That will be followed up on for sure.)

I like the idea of the managers maybe all being players first and foremost. There's something cool about that. Not business types but real gaming types. Except the Votary Manager position! That one should be an author, I think. Oh. And the General Manager position. That should be a suit. Oh... uh... hm.

Of course, my opinion isn't needed this time, and I am *so* okay with that. This whole organizing of the universe was, in a small part, to allow me to concentrate on

game design. No more hosting, organizing, cajoling, etc. Just game design. Of course, I'll still post and blog but hopefully my inbox won't be so packed and everyone will get their answers faster... and the universe will grow at the speed of light!

I eagerly await the opening of the five golden envelopes...

E.J.